The pandemic brought lots of difficulties, affecting our health, money, and society. It also messed with our minds! Feeling tired, stressed, and sad can make it hard to stay positive. Falling into a state of demoralization becomes a real risk when negativity becomes a constant companion.
But don't worry, you can change how you see the world and be more optimistic with these 11 simple yet compelling steps:
1. Schedule Daily 'Quiet Time': Embrace moments of tranquility each day. Whether it's meditation, relaxation, or listening to soothing music, decluttering your thoughts paves the way for stress reduction and enhanced mental clarity.
2. Take Stock of the Good in Your Life: Count your blessings! Acknowledge the things you can be grateful for—your health, family, work, and friends. Even if circumstances have changed, cherishing these elements can bring a renewed sense of appreciation.
3. Upgrade Your Closest Contacts: Surround yourself with positivity! The people in your inner circle profoundly influence your thoughts, behaviors, and perception of the world. Foster relationships with those who inspire and uplift you.
4. Do Good for Others: A simple act of kindness can work wonders for your state of mind. Helping someone else succeed without expecting anything in return brings an immense sense of fulfillment and joy.
5. Sanitize Your Vocabulary: Your words shape your mind. Opt for positivity by choosing more uplifting language when expressing yourself. It's a small change that can have a significant impact on your outlook.
6. Look for the Silver Lining: Refrain from automatically gravitating towards negativity. Every situation has a potential positive aspect; it's up to you to find it and hold onto it.
7. Digest Positive Content: Be mindful of what you consume. Avoid negative news, opinions, or people who perpetuate negativism or harmful mindsets. Surround yourself with positivity to nurture your own.
8. Purge Unhealthy Habits: Take charge of your daily routine. Identify and eliminate habits that contribute to a negative mindset. Start small and witness the transformative power of positive change.
9. Show Gratitude: Expressing thanks for the kindness of others is incredibly uplifting. Embrace gratitude as a means of enhancing your psychological well-being.
10. Simplify Your Obligations: Learn to say no and let go of overwhelming commitments. Creating a more manageable schedule will free you to focus on what truly matters, fostering a more positive outlook.
11. Devote Time to Joyful Hobbies: Make room for activities that rejuvenate your soul. Prioritize hobbies and interests that bring you joy and fulfillment.
Choose a couple of these steps to start with, and you'll see how much better you feel. Remember, we've faced tough times before, and we can get through this one too. Stay positive, and you'll become stronger and more resilient.
Embrace optimism, and a brighter future awaits you!
About the Author
Steve Smith is President and Founder of GrowthSource Coaching headquartered in Lake Forest, CA. He is an accomplished leadership, management and organizational enhancement coach who brings over 40 years of business building experience to every client relationship.